As you may have heard, Alberta Health Services has issued public health restrictions calling for the cancellation of gatherings of more than 50 people where seniors or other people who are at high risk if they contract COVID-19 may be present. Unfortunately this describes our regular Sunday worship service. As a result we will need to consider the seating capacity of the sanctuary effectively reduced.
While worship in community is important to all of us, in order to proceed with any activities we have a Christian obligation to ensure the church is a physically safe place for everyone. The following changes to our programming are in effect immediately:
- Congregants will be asked to maintain a 2 meter separation in the pews from other attendees not in their household and refrain from all contact such as hand shaking and hugging.
- The choir will not be sitting in the loft and will not be performing as a group.
- There will be no church school or childcare available. Children in attendance will need to sit with their caretakers for the entire service.
- There will be no after church social hour.
We ask you to please take guidance from Alberta Health Services to heart and prayerfully consider if attending worship during this crisis is appropriate if you:
- Are over 65
- Have existing underlying medical conditions
- Have other members of your household who are at risk
- Have a job that involves contact with persons who may be at risk
- Have a job that involves providing critical infrastructure services
We ask that you please do not attend worship if you:
- Have recently traveled outside Canada or had contact with someone who has
- Have recently had any type of cold or flu symptoms
- Have a cough or sneeze
We are working on developing alternate programming so that people can remain involved with the community and in contact with the church during this crisis.
Worship and other programming is being live streamed at https://www.twitch.tv/firstpresbyterianedmonton/
Our goal is to have you get through this with us safe and healthy so that everyone can be together again when the crisis is over and regular activities can resume.
We encourage you to use our eventbrite registration form to register if you plan to attend service in person. We do have a limited number of seats for attendees in order to maintain social distancing. Please follow the directions bellow if attend services in person:
- Please wear a face mask at all times while in the sanctuary (face masks and hand sanitizers are available).
- In the event of an emergency take the shortest route to the nearest exit
- Please do not cross the redline at the front of the sanctuary during service.
- Please use the restroom on the west end of the building if required
- Please hum along with the hymns, but please refrain from singing until further notice
- Offering will be collected at the end of service (on the way out) or you can use one of the other contactless options here